Making a pie crust without wheat is difficult, but I am finding, possible.
This gluten-free crust is for a nine-inch pie plate.
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 3/4 Cup Quinoa flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbs Water
Pie Crust Instructions
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F
- Put the butter into a pot, and put the heat on low.
- When the butter is melted, add the quinoa flour, salt and baking powder. You can pre-mix it if you like, but it will get pretty well mixed during the following two steps.
- Using a large spoon, mix the butter into the gluten-free flour mixture. Keep mixing and pressing in the unmelted butter until the wheat-free flour is evenly mixed with the butter.
- Add the water. Mix until the water is evenly mixed with the gluten-free flour mixture.
- Dump the gluten-free pie crust mixture into the pie pan.
- Using your fingers, press the wheat-free pie crust into an even covering along the bottom of the pan and up the sides.
- Using a fork, poke holes into the base of the crust. They do not have to penetrate the crust, but it is OK if they do. Place fork-holes about every inch or so around the outer edge of the bottom of the pie pan, and round the middle too.
- Place the pie crust in the oven. Bake until brown (approximately 20 minutes). Check it every so often to make sure it does not burn!
- Remove from the oven and add gluten-free pie filling.
- Bake according to pie filling instructions.