Makes 4 servings
Note: plan ahead. Read instructions carefully before starting.
This is a very tasty recipe, its worth the effort!
1 cup white glutinous rice
1 – 14 oz. can coconut milk (1-3/4 cups)
1/3 cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 medium to large mangoes
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- Wash rice. Place in medium size bowl.
- Cover rice generously with cold water;
- Soak 4 to 6 hours.
- Drain well.
- Place in a colander or sieve with fine holes.
- Set colander on rack over water in a large pot;
- water must not touch rice.
- Cover pot;
- Bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat slightly;
- steam rice 25 minutes.
- Open can of coconut milk. Do this carefully, without shaking.
- Spoon off ¼ cup of thick milk from top of can.
- Place in small bowl, cover and
- Stir remaining milk to blend.
- Measure ½ cup; reserve remainder for another use.
- Stir coconut milk, sugar, salt in small bowl till sugar is dissolved.
- Remove rice from steamer.
- Spoon rice into a 1-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Stir sugar mixture into rice.
- Cover, return to steamer and steam 10 more minutes.
- Remove baking dish to a rack.
- Let rice cool, covered, to room temperature.
- Peel mangoes.
- Remove pulp from seeds; slice.
- Divide rice among 4 large dessert plates.
- Top each serving with 1 tbsp. reserved thick coconut milk.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Arrange mango slices around the rice on each plate.