Fatigue is often described as a lack of energy, a weariness from mental or physical exertion.
It can be an allergy symptom. It may also be caused by a combination of other factors. Certainly, if you can get more of a handle on fatigue, your allergy symptoms will likely lessen in severity.
From a holistic perspective, fatigue can also be perceived as a message from our bodies. It is often a symptom of imbalance. Therefore, when experiencing fatigue, it’s important to ask, why am I feeling so tired?
- Am I getting enough quality sleep? For example, many people get 8 hours of sleep a night, but wake up 2-3 times during the night. This can lead to feelings of sluggishness during the day.
- If you are not getting enough sleep, why not? Are you doing too much? Is something bothering you where you don’t feel able to relax and sleep well?
- Conversely, getting too much sleep can actually also lead to sluggishness. Oversleeping can be a sign of imbalance as well.
- Am I nourishing myself enough – physically, emotionally, mentally?
- Physically – Am I eating foods that give me the proper nutrients and energy to keep me going? Eating well balanced meals with fresh food will give you the most sustainable energy throughout the day. A diet consisting of a lot of processed foods will drain and deplete your body of minerals and nutrients. Sometimes food or other allergies can also lead to symptoms of fatigue.
- Emotionally – How are my relationships, career, spirituality? Feeling fulfilled in these areas is important in our overall well-being. On the other hand, emotional stress can drain our energy and make us feel tired.
- Mentally – Am I involved in challenging, invigorating, fun activities to stimulate the mind and create excitement in my life? If you are involved in things that make you excited to jump out of bed every morning, chances are you will experience much less fatigue than if you woke up every morning feeling as though you had to drag yourself to get through the day.
Addressing the above questions can be extremely effective in addressing fatigue from a holistic perspective. It is important to listen to our body’s messages and understand the root causes of fatigue.
By Frances Cheung, Health Counselor