This loaf, made primarily from rice and walnuts, is filling, satisfying and nutritious. It travels well, making it ideal for car trips or flights.
This recipe may be doubled and kept frozen.
Note: The brown rice should be prepared well ahead of time.
- 1 ¼ cups cooked brown rice (½ cup raw)
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup cheese*
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups onions (chopped and sautéed)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
* Cheddar is ideal. Also works with non-dairy cheese such as soy cheese.
- Cook the rice if not already available. This takes about 40 minutes once the water is boiling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Chop and sauté the onions.
- Crush walnuts. A blender works well for this.
- Beat the eggs.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Place in an oiled loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.