Allergy to Wine - Worst Reactions (wine survey) | Allergy

Allergy to Wine – Worst Reactions (wine survey)

by Allergy Guy

Allergy to wines is a real problem for some people.

Some people seem to be allergic to all types of wine, where as others seem to have reactions to very specific types of wine.

Some are allergic to alcohol but I am referring to people who can drink alcohol but not wine, or certain types of wines.

Wine Allergy Research is the Purpose of this Article

What wines do you find to be the most problematic? Is it a certain brand, a certain region, a certain style, or a certain type of grape?

Have you tried organic wines, and have you noticed a difference?

Do you have other known allergies, or reactions to other types of food?

Please leave your comments, and include:

1) The type of reaction you get
2) A description of the wine
3) Other foods that cause any kind of an allergic reaction
4) Anything else you think might help

Over time, the information collected here will become very valuable to you and everyone else investigating their wine allergy.

I thought this comment by Kath was interesting and might help others:

The reaction I had to drinking wine – migraine like symptoms and stomach upset (the first time it happened I thought it was food poisoning). I get the same reaction with lemons. Since then I’ve done some research and discovered that the EU does not allow citric acid to be used as an acidifier in wines produced within the EU. As I knew for sure that I had this reaction after drinking Californian wine I bought a bottle of Spanish Rioja and I was fine drinking this and any other wines produced in Europe.

Related Article: wine allergy

(Visited 120,667 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Comment

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Joanne Borg April 21, 2018 at 03:15

Consumed half a glass of Prosecco, and within 5 mins, I had hives all over my neck. Wine has always made me feel unwell, but more headache symptoms only. Spirits, especially Vodka, I don’t seem to have any problems with. Therefore it’s safe to say that I’m allergic to wine, not alcohol, in particular the sulphites. I am also anaphylaxis to fish and allergic to penicillin.


2 Candace February 27, 2018 at 12:34

I think I am allergic to specifically Merlot. I had a bout of itchy and swollen lips many years again and stopped drinking Merlot just because I didn’t like it and preferred cabs and maybes. I had two glasses ofMerlot Sunday night after many years and woke up w major hives. I ended up at urgent care twice for two different shots. I am on day 2 and popping Benedryl and cortisone creams praying no more flare ups.


3 Carol November 21, 2017 at 17:45

Severe stomach pain and itching deep in my ear canals and throat. No other symptoms. Happens with all types of wines including organics. Reds are worse (nearly anaphylaxis) where my throat nearly swelled shut. Also happens with beer, including alcohol free beer. My other allergies are to poultry and peas.


4 Karen October 25, 2017 at 16:01

Due to chronic sinusitis caused by continuous, unresolved inflammation, and after two sinus surgeries that helped the symptoms but not the underlying cause, I decided to see a functional/integrative medical specialist. This is a relatively new board certification for medical doctors and they are most interested in helping individuals determine underlying causes rather than treating the symptoms. The do tests for leaky guts and antigens to specific foods. Turns out I have a strong antigenic response to brewer’s yeast and baker’s yeast.

I have started on an elimination diet, but the yeast is tricky because it is in all kinds of things I don’t even think about until after I have consumed it! I am determined to do this elimination diet, however many times I have to start over because of an accidental ingestion! Once I make it 6 weeks, I will start to reintroduce, one at a time, the offending foods. Wine will be my first add back! I will keep you posted of what I learn.


5 Marilyn E Cole October 9, 2017 at 18:03

WE HAD wOODBRIDGE Cabernet Sauvignon 2016 we had stomach ache throwing up loose stool felt sick all night This happen twice .


6 Terese August 8, 2017 at 17:46

I’ve been drinking Rose now for a month or more and I’ve ad hives and itching on my face, now a severe runny nose. Could be the brand of rose? Because some days aren’t as bad as others…going to test my theory


7 Martha J. Sumrell June 18, 2017 at 09:46

I have been a long time drinker of all of the Apothic wines for several years. But last night, after only drinking Apothic Reds and the red blends, we opened a bottle of the white. I had 2 glasses with dinner. Well,then I noticed that my face was itching like crazy around the hairline at my forehead and on my cheeks just in front of my ears…and then the hives appeared on my neck! I spent the entire night trying to resist the urge to rip my face off with my fingernails! I have been popping benadryl with little relief. Woke up with my eyes nearly swollen shut! Misery!!!


8 Sheila June 30, 2017 at 21:22

This has started happening to me over the last 2 years. I’ve never had a problem with wine but now my eyes will itch like crazy about an hour after consumption and I get massive edema under one eye. Benadryl does nothing but sudafed relieves the edema. If I take the sudafed before drinking wine it prevents all the symptoms.


9 Beth Uhlir March 15, 2017 at 17:29

I drank a couple of glasses of Apothic red winemakers blend for the first time and woke up covered in a red rash on my arms, stomach, and chest. It has never happened to me before. I had a couple of glasses of barefoot sweet red blend last week and over the weekend a couple of glasses of another inexpensive sweet red I got at the grocery store. No reaction. A few years ago I experienced a headache after drinking Charles Shaw Chardonnay from Trader Joes and haven’t drank it since.


10 Kelly September 12, 2016 at 22:37

After drinking Reisling or other white wines my ears will turn red and get very hot. I can feel an itching sensation on my upper chest and neck. I don’t break out in hives, but something is definitely going on. This does not occur with all whites, just some. I do not know what the cause is nor do I have any food allergies.


11 Anita August 28, 2016 at 12:23

I have now determined that i am allergic to a particular brand of prosecco. as we started on the second bottle, my husband noticed i was getting welts on my neck and i was scratching. thought nothing of it until this morning, when i woke up with a very swollen face and weeping hives rash on my face and neck. Throat feels a little swollen too. I took a Claritin and put a cortisteroid salve on my face and neck. it’s been about 4 hours, and the swelling is starting to go down. This happened about 3 weekends ago, and I thought it was a reaction to some medication i was taking. i am not going to drink this brand again. i will gingerly attempt to drink a brand i drank about 1 year ago which i did not have a reaction to, hopefully i can still drink this delicious bubbly. 🙁


12 Claudia August 10, 2016 at 22:54

I think I may be allergic to some wines. My symptoms:
-My body temperature rises and perspire. It goes away after maybe 20 mins.
-I have twice passed out at wine tastings – and not because I’m drunk!; my lips get itchy (this also happens when I eat tomato sauce and maybe olive oil but haven’t figured that out yet); I have been to tastings where I have not passed out.
I never connected it to wine until tonight. I had a glass of white and commented to my husband that I always feel hot after my first glass of wine, and he said, “maybe you’re allergic”. And then we started talking about all of the things that have happened, as above … connected to wine drinking!


13 Kerri August 6, 2016 at 02:20

I had red sangria, it was the only thing I had in the last 6 hours. I had about four sips and my chin started itching then I broke out in a rash. My ears felt pressure as if in a higher altitude. My throat felt tighter and my sinus felt like the swelled up a little. I immediately stopped drinking the wine and took a benadryl. After 25 minutes my symptoms started to subside just a little… And they were not getting worse. I have had many red wines before. Never seemed to notice an issue before… But this wine it was immediate reaction.


14 Jan Goben August 3, 2016 at 20:00

I never had a problem until one day, in my 40s, I had some wine and my face turned red and swollen. After quite a bit of research, I learned it was the added sulfites in wine and I found there are just one or two wines I can drink without problems. I am frustrated with this website, after doctors told me it could be life-threatening.


Previous post:

Next post: