The main disadvantage is that it does not keep quite as well. You can usually keep it unrefrigerated for a day or so.
- 1 can chick peas
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic*
- 2 tbs. tamari* (choose a wheat-free brand)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder*
- 1 tsp curry powder*
- 1 tsp sage*
This simple recipe can be made by hand or in a food processor. The directions are for making it by hand. If you decide to use a food processor, use the directions below as a guide for the order in which you add the ingredients to the food processor. Turn the food processor on when the directions say mash.
- Drain the chick peas, place in a medium-sized pot
- Scrape off some zest (outer skin) from the lemon and add that.
- Squeeze the lemon, add juice and pulp (but not seeds).
- Add oil, tahini, and all optional ingredients except garlic.
- Mash ingredients into a fine paste. A potato masher works well.
- Fry garlic until golden-brown.
- Add garlic and mix in.