The severity of brain fog can vary, and can be compounded by several factors, for example high stress levels and lack of sleep. Lack of sleep can itself cause brain fog, so in many ways, having allergy-induced brain fog is somewhat similar to trying to function without enough sleep, except that getting more sleep leads to limited improvement, if any.
Brain Fog Symptoms
Brain fog causes a general dived in productivity including a definite reduction in the ability to think, reduces motivation, similar to mild depression, and can cause depression as well. It is the cause of poor memory, poor social functioning, low marks in school, poor performance at work, and an unsatisfactory personal life. Depending on the sevarity of the brain fog, these efects can vary from slight to quite pernounced, although often only the victim is really aware of the brain fog while others perceive them to be normal, even if they don’t seem too sharp at times.
Brain Fog Causes
- Food allergies such as gluten allergy and yeast allergy, also wheat, soy and dairy allergies
- Candida overgrowth
- Chemical allergies
- Sleep deprivation *
- Nutrient deficiencies *
- Toxic chemicals
- Toxic metals including mercury, aluminum, cadmium and lead
- Copper imbalance (made worse by birth control pills/patches and poorly balanced vegetarian diets) *
- Other mineral imbalances such as iron, manganese and chromium *
- Too much calcium
- Bowel Toxicity *
- Drinking too little water (or too much pop, coffee, sugared juices etc.)
- Thyroid imbalance *
- Being sick, for example cold or flu
- Physiological/emotional stress
Brain Fog Treatment
If you have brain fog caused by an allergy, the most important brain fog treatment is to avoid the allergen. For example, if you have a gluten allergy, avoid all gluten. It could take weeks to clear out of your system, so stay the course.
Maintaining a properly balanced nutritional intake is also important. If you are not sure if you have an allergy or not, it is still a good idea to eliminate sugar, wheat and make sure you have some, but not too much protein in your diet, along with a good complement of vegetables. Body detoxification is also important.