Toxic Mold | Allergy

Toxic Mold (Toxic Mould)

by Allergy Guy

Toxic mold (or toxic mould) refers to certain types of mold that release toxic substances into the air, causing health problems.

Not all types of mold fall into this category. In fact, there are many types of beneficial mold. We would not have cheese for example, without the beneficial action of mold on milk ingredients for example.

In most cases, toxic mold refers to certain species of mold that release mycotoxins – liquid or gaseous compounds that are harmful to human health.

So it is not the molds themselves, but the toxins they release that cause all the trouble.

Toxic Mold and Illness

Harmful molds can cause illness in a number of ways:

  • Toxic effects
  • allergic reactions
  • Immunotoxic effects
  • Infections

Mold allergy problems are covered elsewhere on this site. These are not toxic effects, but allergic reactions to mold spores or other mold by-products.

A mold infection is also not a toxic effect, but a situation where mold growth is able to take hold in the body. This is often due to a problem with the effected individual’s immune system.

Toxic mold refers either to the toxic or immunotoxic effects of mold.

Toxic Effect of Toxic Mold

Some mycotoxins have a directly poisonous effect on the body. Examples include aflatoxin and ochratoxin.

They cause a variety of damage types to the internal organs and nervous system.

Toxic Mold and Carcinogenic Effect

Many mycotoxins are carcinogenic, and some are very carcinogenic.

Too much exposure to the effects of these toxic molds can be cancer-causing.

Toxic Mold and Immunotoxic Effect

Mycotoxins can greatly reduce the effectiveness of your immune system. This may explain why so many mycotoxins are carcinogenic, and why mold allergy are so common.

Internal Links

External Links

(Visited 13,049 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Comment

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jennifer October 8, 2010 at 22:58

We lived in a place that we believe had a serious mold problem. About 6 or 7 months after living there I started having trouble breathing sometimes(didnt make the connection of it being from where we lived yet) . It almost felt like a heavyness in my chest and i cant get enough air in. We lived there a total of a year and a half. We moved to another place that is a good enviroment but I am still having the same problem with not being able to breath sometimes and heavyness in chest. Is it normal for mold to effect the body after you are away from it. Also is there some kind of test that can look for this in the body? Thanks for your help, I am at a loss!


2 Allergy Guy October 9, 2010 at 10:12

Hi Jennifer,

From what I have heard, an earlier mold exposure can have a long-term effect.

I’m sorry that I can’t help you more than that, except to suggest finding a good doctor who understands the situation.

$immunocal$ may help the body repair itself, but I can’t be sure of this.


Previous post:

Next post: