I am nearing the end of my house-sitting stint at my friends house – the house with the moldy basement. Most basements in this city are moldy it seems, which is why I am loath to move (I live in a house with a dry, relatively mold-free basement).
I’ve been managing my allergies by completely avoiding the basement (except for rare occasions, when I have done my best to take a deep breath before opening the door, running down the narrow stairs, doing what I have to do, running up again … hopefully all on one breath as I slam the door behind me).
I was down there a little longer this afternoon, and now I am paying the price. I am noticing a bit of a headache, and general muscle discomfort, especially in the back of my neck.
The fact that I had a couple of spelt cookies yesterday may not have helped. Although spelt is not exactly wheat, it isn’t exactly not wheat either. A combination of mold exposure and spelt consumption – not good!
You can read this article for more on how I’ve been surviving this Dusty Moldy House.