How To Get Mold Out of a Tent | Allergy

How To Get Mold Out of a Tent

by Allergy Guy

I used to find that camping was not always a great experience, specifically, I did not feel that great when I slept in a tent. This puzzled me for years, until I discovered that I was allergic to mold.

Once I figured out that my tents had a mold problem, the next step was to remove mold from the tent.

There are instructions on this website on how to get rid of mold from a tent. Some of the instructions really apply to smaller nylon tents that can be soaked in a bucket or laundry sink. There are also hints in that article that apply to any kind and size of tent.

The following is best done outside:

For large canvas tents, you can try putting the whole tent in a heavy plastic bag, and pouring buckets of water mixed with bleach into the bag. It is important that you mix the bleach into the water first before you add it to the bag, or you may get white patches on your tent where full-strength bleach contacts the fabric. Mix about 1/4c bleach to 20l water, then and the well-stirred mixture to the bag. Repeat this process until the tent is saturated with the water-bleach mixture. Tie off the top of the bag to keep the water from leaking out.

The next step is to empty the bag. Untie it or cut it open, and drain the water. To rinse the bleach water out of the tent, hang it from a line, and wash it down with a hose.

Allow the tent to dry completely before storing it.


Related Articles


External Links

(Visited 26,820 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Comment

{ 5 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Camper October 1, 2011 at 09:41

Mold comes from high humid stale environments such as bathrooms after a shower or a car closed up tight where air cannot flow and remove the moisture in the air. My Jeep tends to do that during the late Summer season so I open the windows a little. Bathroom fans (when you have them) need to run at least 15 minutes after the shower has been turned off. If you do not have a fan, look for a small dehumidifier. The key is to get the moisture out of the air. Mold can’t live in an environment with humidity below a certain level. That level is determined by climate and location so you will need to figure it out for your area.

Reply

2 Karen May 10, 2008 at 02:33

Try mold resistant paint

Did you paint your bathroom with mold resistant paint? Look for a bath and kitchen paint that is mold resistant.

Reply

3 chris February 8, 2010 at 06:53

anti-mould additive for paint

Hi
the best thing is use a mould additive and at least a semi-gloss paint, either oil or water based does not matter. But in the end you will have to look at why it keeps coming back, is there something wrong with the way the room is airing out after use? Perhaps a ceiling fan could work, in my house the roof is flat, so I put the fan in the window. I bought the fan, and took the window to a glass cutter to make the hole, and then I put in one of those timing switches to allow 40minutes of air time after I leave.
regards Chris

Reply

4 Anonymous April 24, 2008 at 23:59

mold

I have mold growing in our main bathroom. I have scrubbed the ceiling and walls with bleach water and then washed it off with clean water and it has been good for a few years but now it is back.
What would the symptoms to mold be?

Reply

5 admin May 8, 2008 at 23:21

A few years is a long time

If you were able to eliminate mold for a few years with bleach, then you have done well.

Perhaps a yearly bleaching will keep it away.

Typical mold symptoms include tiredness, itching eyes, coughing, sneezing, and brain fog.

Reply

Previous post:

Next post: