I’ve tried yet another experiment in my series of gluten-free pie shells.
Someone once told me that the air force has an expression: “Don’t test a new engine on a new airframe”.
Well, I did just that, pretty much.
Firstly, I just bought a ceramic pie plate – something I’ve never baked with before.
Also, I wanted a change from experimenting with quinoa flour and decided to try Hemp_Flour instead.
hemp flour is great stuff. Besides being a nutritious alternative to wheat and being gluten-free, it also mixes very nicely with butter. I was surprised at how evenly the butter mixed in with the flour. It produced a beautiful rich chocolate-brown gluten-free dough.
The dark brown colour was a double-edged sword though. I couldn’t really tell if it was well enough baked or not. And using a new type of pie plate that I was unfamiliar with made it that much worse.
Result: I burned the pie, but I didn’t even know this until hours later when I actually went to try some of this pie.
It looked fantastic, but tasted, well, burnt.
No recipe to report out of this. Obviously I need to make some adjustments before I can publish anything.